Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do I change the engine torque strut mount on a 94 Buick?

I was told by the car repair shop that I need to replace the torque strut mount on my 94 Buick Regal 3.8. I tried to do it myself but can not fit the new one in because the rubber on the old one was pushed forward and the engine is sitting about 1/4 to 1/2 inch too far forward. The guy at the auto parts store told me to put the transaxle in neutral and pry the engine back to fit the new strut mount on. If I follow his advice, do I run the risk of messing up anything else that is now relying on the engine being in its current position? Also any advice on tilting the engine back would help.How do I change the engine torque strut mount on a 94 Buick?
I did this years ago on a Buick Century, 1983 model.



As I recall, I used the weight of the car to position the engine. I was either nose uphill or nose downhill and when in %26quot;Park%26quot; the enigne rocks forward or backwards.



If you are a member of the Flat Earth Society and don't have a driveway that slopes up or down then you could use a wooden dowel (like1%26amp;1/2%26quot; diameter) or a 1/2 inch breaker bar wedged under an engine bracket (make sures it's a steel bracket and not aluminum) and then pull or push the engine until the holes are lined up.



It's a bit delicate but not quite neurosurgery.



Good Luck!How do I change the engine torque strut mount on a 94 Buick?
I agree...just try rocking the car back or forth in gear to align the holes or use a pry bar on a steel part of the brackets or engine to get the holes to line up. Loosening the engine bracket bolts may also help too.