Saturday, November 20, 2010

How to remove back shock/struts on a 1999 mercury cougar?

I have replace my front but I don't know how to change the bad struts on the back of my 1999 mercury cougar. HELP anybody?How to remove back shock/struts on a 1999 mercury cougar?
I can tell you that even experienced mechanics have trouble with the rear struts on the Cougar (Contour) platform. The guy I know actually fabricated his own lever tool which allows him to push down on the knuckle while pushing up on the spring seat. FoMoCo made this a difficult part to change by adding the %26quot;hook%26quot; stop on the body. Other than that it is a standard strut to change out.How to remove back shock/struts on a 1999 mercury cougar?
i don,t know ! do they have the springs over the struts? if they do then you will need a pair of j-hooks to compress the springs after you get them off. on the bottom you should have 2 big bolts. here,s a tip to keep the back in alignment. before taking the big bolts out take some spray paint and spray around the bolts so you can put the new ones back in the same place and as for the top they should come up inside the trunk with about 3 nuts that has to come off.